Yesterday, I read a Facebook status that read, "I hope this banana bread tastes as great as my apartment smells." And that was all it took, I wanted to make bread too, but instead I wanted to try my mom's famous apple bread. Several months ago, I asked my mom for her recipe. She said something like, "Oh, it has 3 cups of apples, canola oil, sugar, flour, eggs, and walnuts--no butter, so it's fairly healthy."And that's exactly what I wrote down on my recipe card, but I had no clue how much of each. I googled apple bread and found her recipe, pretty much exactly, here. Want to make some for you and your family? Here are the steps!
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 cups apples-peeled, cored, chopped
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
2 tsp cinnamon
My inventive way to keep the recipe out of the way and easy to read--Place in the paper towel holder!
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare two loaf pans with cooking spray. I only have one loaf pan, so I use my mini loaf pan too, and I'd definitely recommend it. More about that later :)
2. Peel, core, and chop 5-6 apples to make 3 cups
3. Chop 1 cup of walnuts
4. Mix dry ingredient in a large bowl (flour, baking soda, salt, walnuts, and apples).
5. Whisk oil, sugar, eggs and cinnamon together in a small bowl
6. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients until just moisten.
7. Separate the mixture into the pans
8. Bake in oven until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean. For the smaller loafs, it took about 1 hour and the large loaf about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
9. When done, let the bread sit in the pan for 10 minutes before placing on a cooling rack.
Trust me when I say, this bread is amazing. It does take about 2 hours total to make including the prep time, but it is WELL worth it! The mini loafs were a hit with my husband because his favorite part of the bread is the crusty edges. I will definitely be repeating this recipe super soon.
It makes for a great breakfast, dessert, or snack any time!
Doesn't it just look so good! My teacher side gives this recipe an A+. Enjoy!